After the successful trek of Siddhagad, NB is back again with another beautiful trek to Fort Kothaligad also know as Fort Peth.
Here is some info About Kothaligad:
Type: Hill Fort
Height: 3100 Feet above MSL (Approx)
Base Village: Peth
Kothaligad aka Peth, is situated in Shahapur Taluka, approximately 21Km North East of Karjat. This fort stands tall in the company of various other forts like Rajmachi, Dhak, Siddhagad and Bhimashankar, a witness to our illustrious history.
Kothaligad is more commonly known as the fort of Peth because the village of Peth is situated at its base. This fort though small in stature has a vast historical background. Mughal chronicles provide us a lot of information on this fort. This fort was more of a ‘defense station’ than a strong fort. Peth was mainly used for ammunition storage. Peth gained importance during Sambhaji’s era.
Rendezvous: Dadar Station, Platform Number 4, Thane End at sharp 12:40 PM with ticket till Karjat. You can take return tickets as it will be valid for return journey on Sunday.
The Itinerary for the trek is as given below:
Leave Dadar at 1:00 PM in the afternoon on Saturday by Karjat fast local.
Arrive at Karjat by 3:00 PM (~ 2 Hours)
Take the Rikshaw from Karjat to Ambivali (~ 1 Hour)
An easy walk enjoying the rains from Ambivali to Peth Wadi (~ 2 Hours)
From Peth wadi to cave of Peth Fort (~ 1 Hour) where we will camp for the Night and will have our dinner.
Visit the top of the fort in the morning. (~ 1 Hour)
After getting back to the cave we will have a breakfast and then set out to visit the remnants around the fort.
We will leave the fort around 11 AM and will reach Ambivali by 1 PM
We will take a Rikshaw to Karjat to catch Train leaving from Karjat at 3 PM.
Should be back at Dadar by 5 PM.
The cost of this trek would be Rs.250/- only and would include Travel from Karjat to Karjat, Tea / Coffee, Dinner on Sat. and breakfast on Sunday
If interested, please contact on the nos. below for registration latest by friday night (3rd July,2009) :
Parag: 9820973705 (W)
Pinak: 9987562162 (C)
Mandar: 9869269928 (C)
Hemant: 9819786136 (C)
Sameer: 9820972043 (W)
Here is a list of all the things that need to be carried for the trek:
1. A haversack to put in all the things to be carried….so that one has ones hands free while trekking. Please do not carry sling bags or Jholas.
2. At least 1 set of spare clothes with a towel and napkin.
3. A good torch with a 2 spare set of batteries. (COMPULSORY)
4. A sleeping bag/Foam Mat/Blanket to sleep on with a pillow and blanket.
5. Soap and other accompaniments.
6. Optional: Camera & something to munch on.
7. At least 2 liters of water.
Few rules that we would like people to follow:
1. Alcohol will strictly not be permitted on the trek. Anyone found in possession of the same or consuming it will be expelled from the trek.
2. Smoking will only be permitted after consultation with the Leader and the person will have to move away from the group to smoke.
3. Smoking will only be permitted while we stop at a clearing and not otherwise.
4. The leader’s decision will be final and binding on all members. No Arguments will be entertained.
5. Each member will be responsible for his/her own safety and baggage.
6. Please do not wear any jewelry or gold chains/rings.
Those interested in having a look at the aerial view of the region can click on this link:
Here are some photographs of the earlier trek when we visited this fort couple of years back.