Bhimashankar is one of the twelve jyotirlingas in India.. So the place has got a lot of religious importance attached to it.Apart from the religious importance however the place is like heaven during monsoons. The shrine falls under the Bhimashankar wild sanctuary or to be right the forest derives its name because of the Bhimashankar shrine. The shrine is under the limits of Junnar,Ambegaon and Khed district thus there is a cross over of districts at this place.
Bhimashankar trek is one of the most famous treks in and around Mumbai. The base station is Khandas (around 18Kms from Karjat). The trek is an exciting but a bit long one.However it should not take us beyond 4 hours to reach the top if we walk slow and steady.
Places to visit:
There are quite a lot of places to see there. We will however be covering the following two spots:
1) The shrine:
It’s a very old temple and is quite religiously governed. I have seen very few Shiva temples where devotees are prohibited from entering if they have any leather stuff on their body.
2) Nagphani point:
There is a good waterfall here and the place is beautiful and will be the first point that we will cover here.
3) Gupt Bhimashankar:
This is further 2-3 kms into the woods. The place is very sacred and is the actual place where the shiv lingas were originally discovered. The place also marks the origin of Bhima river. But I am not sure if we can do this.
This fort is the one about which almost all of us know about. The fort has attained importance as it is the birthplace of the great Shivaji Maharaj. In 1630 AD the fort was blessed with the birth of Shivaji Maharaj.
Recently the ASI(Archeological Survey of India) has done handsome work at the place.
They have restructured the place and done a lot of landscaping at the place. I would say it is easily the best maintained fort in Maharashtra now.
Places to visit:
This is the birthplace of Shivaji
2) Kade lot:
This is the place from where people committing serious crimes used to be pushed into the valley.
3) Shivai devi mandir:
This is a diety at the fort and history has it that the name Shivaji is derived from Shivai mata.
The other places to visit in Shivneri are ‘Kaman Take’ , ‘Kadelot Tok’ , ‘Koli Chouthara ‘ and ‘Dongarmatha’.
Day 1: The 11th of July,09
1) Meet at Mulund(E) railway station on platform no 1
2) Board the 6:31 AM slow local for Karjat.
The detailed train timings are here:
3) Reach Karjat at 8:00 AM and proceed to bus stand.
4) Breakfast and reach Khandas at arnd 9:15AM
5) 9:30 AM to 1:30 PM trek and reach Bhimashankar via Ganesh Ghat.
6) Lunch from 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM
7) Visit the Nagphani point and back by 4:30 PM
8) 4:30 PM to 6:00 PM visit the shrine.
9) Visit Gupt Bhimashankar( if we by any chance are able to visit the shrine as in point 8 by 5:00 PM we can plan to take this up).
10) Back to the Bus.
11) Our bus will collect us from here.
12) Reach Narayangaon by 8:30 PM
13) Dinner at Narayangaon and off to bed by 10:30 PM
Day 2: The 12th of July,09
1) After breakfast proceed to Junnar at 8:00 AM
2) Reach Junnar at 9:00 AM
3) 9:00AM to 1:30 PM visit Shivneri fort and back.
4) 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM lunch at Junnar hotel Aashiyaana.
5) 2:30 PM start back from Junnar via Malshej ghat.
6) Reach Mumbai by 7:30 PM on the way break at Malshej Ghat.
Type of transport:
1) Local Mumbai train till Karjat on day 1 + trek + Private bus from Bhimashankar
2) Private Bus for all the day till back to Mulund.
Rs. 950 per head inclusive of food (2 lunches+1 Dinner+2 Breakfasts) + private bus+accommodation.
Cost does not include any other charges.
We suggest that participants do not bring valuable articles.
1 Terms and Conditions and Instructions 2
1. Consumption of alcohol is strictly prohibited.Also littering the trekking route or site by means of Plastic Pollution or for that matter any type of harm done to the place of trekking ground will dealt with seriously.
2. Smoking may be permitted but please take care that you do not harm someone else’s lungs.
3. Please carry atleast 2-3 litres of drinking water with you.
4. Please wear good quality trekking shoes.
5. Carry light snacks that suffice you.
6. Towel and 1-2 set of extra clothes+torch
7. Please pay me by transferring the entire amount to my ICICI account number 015201526004.
8. Please feel free to call me at 9960979380/ Sachin Sawant:9967157797/Sachin Pathare:9820277975/Amey:9967870538.
9 Please refrain from bringing any valuables for the trek.