Gautala, 72 km from Aurangabad is a bowl shaped hilly terrain with sprawling deciduous forests. There is a sanctuary spread over 269 sq. km. in Kannad & Chalisgaon tehsils of Aurangabad and Jalgoan district. Located on the Satmala hills, the sanctuary presents a picturesque panoramic view. The interiors of the jungle are impenetrable. Gautalas repute as one of the most enchanting picnic spots that has grown over the past few years. Gautala’s rapid waterfalls are a special attraction. The Gautala sanctuary also encompasses ancient Buddhist cave temples popularly known as Pithalkhora. Antur Fort another important monument is also embraced within the sanctuary
NTUR is situated 16 miles N.N.E. of Kanhar on the spur of a hill which projects into Kandesh. The fort was built about the middle of the 15th century by a Mahratta chief, and was named after him.
It remained in the possession of his descendants for about a century, and was then taken by the Mahomedans. Between the 16th and 17th centuries, it belonged to Nizam Shahi of Ahmadnagar, as may be gathered from several inscriptions, in which some of the kings of this dynasty are mentioned.
A square stone pillar two miles south of Antur contains an inscription mentioning the direction of Nagapur and Jalna on the east, Mehawar and Chalisgaon on the west, Antur and Burhanpur on the north, and Daulatabad and Ahmadnagar on the south. It records the Hijri date 1000 (A.D. 1583), and states that it was erected during the reign of Murtaza Nizam Shah. A small masjid within the fort has a Persian inscription which mentions that it was built by Ismail Husain in Hijri 1025 (A.D. 1608). Another Persian and Arabic inscription on one of the fort bastions is as follows:- ” This lower wall was constructed during the reign and under the auspices of Burhan Nizam Shah, the fountain head of wisdom, by Malik Ambar, the wisest of the wise and benefactor of the world, in the year 1007 Hijri” (A.D. 1590). A later inscription upon a small arch within the second gateway is dated 1035 Hijri (A.D. 1618), and mentions that the arch was built by order of Malik Ambar.
Until quite recently the commandant of Antur was a Rajput, the male members of whose family held that office in succession from the time of Aurangzib. It is now garrisoned by 28 men, 2 dafadars, 1 jamadar, and 1 writer taken from the military police of Daulatabad.
SAITONDA, a deserted fort, is situated on the summit of a small hill 26 mites north-east of Kanhar. It was probably built by some of the Mahratta chiefs before the Dakhan was overrun by the Mahomedans. The deshmukhs and other revenue officials of the place possess sanads granted by Aurangzib. The fortress is remarkable for a mineral spring which keeps deliriously cool throughout the year. There are several other hill forts which are in ruins, such as VAISAGARH, LONGHA, and PAIDKA.