Kotaligad Fort (T. Karjat) about 160 yards long by sixty wide, is in Peth village (p. 192; RS. Neral, 20 m.) fourteen miles north-east of Karjat and twelve east of Neral. The village of Peth stands on a high but not extensive tableland, a projecting tongue of the Sahyadris, out of which rises a towering rock in shape like Funnel Hill. The fort is built on the top of this funnel. The ascent to the tableland is exceedingly steep, and, in many places, exposed to fire from the fort guns. The upper fort guards the Kaulaca and Nakinda passes, and commands a view of the Kulambi pass, though too far off to defend it. It is so difficult of access that a few men could hold it against any force. Below the rock is a small redoubt, a gateway, and some works in poor repair. There are one or two water cisterns which hold water.
In November 1817 the fort was taken for the Pesva by a chief named Bapurav Lambia. But a month later (December 30) it was retaken by Captain Brooks without loss. [Asiatic Journal, VI. 96; Nairne’s Konkan, 113.] In 1862 it was in good order and had available supplies of food and water. In 1880 there were three walls and gateways to the fort, and a steep staircase cut out of the rock and in places tunnelled through it. Near the top is an old cave with fine pillars like those at Pulu Sonale. Two old guns about five feet long, and a fine bronze mortar and iron cannon ball lie about the lower fort. There is a temple of Devi near the entrance. A person from the Peth village regularly worships the deity.