Suvarnadurg

Suvarnadurg, the Golden Fortress, with an area of eight acres on a low irregular island, about a quarter of a mile from the shore, surrounded by a very high wall, is perhaps the most striking of the Ratnagiri coast forts. Great parts of the
fortifications are cut out of the solid rock and the rest are built of blocks of stone ten or twelve feet square. Relieved by bastions and broken by one rough postern gate just above high tide mark, the walls are so overgrown with trees and
bushes, that, except at low tide, it is impossible to walk round them. Within the fort, are several reservoirs and a small step well with abundant water. On a stone’ at the threshold of the postern gate is an image of a tortoise, and opposite it on
the wall towards the left, one of Maruti. There are two guard rooms to the right and left, and rooms also under the bastions. At a little distance is a stone building plastered with mortar, said to have been the magazine. Some very extensive foundations me probably the sites of old palaces: In 1862, the walls and bastions were in good repair, but the gateway was ruinous. There was no garrison, but the supplies of water and food were abundant. There were fifty six old and unserviceable guns.2
Suvarnadurg, probably built by the Bijiipl1r kings in the sixteenth century and in 1669, Strengthened by Shivaji, was in 1696, a station of Kanhoji Angre’s fleet, and in 1713, it was formally made over to him by Shahu Raja. Under Kanhoji’s successor Tulaji, Suvarnadurg became one of the seats of his power. Such damage its fleets caused, both to Indian and foreign shipping, that the Peshva’s government several times proposed that the English should join them in suppressing Xrigres. Early in 1755., a joint attack on Suvarnadurg, Bankot, and some other Angres forts was arranged.
The siege lasted from ,25th March to 2nd April, when the garrison surrendered. On the 12th, April, Commodore James, according to agreement, made over Suvarnadurg to the Maratha Government. In 1802, Bajirav Peshva, flying from Yeshvanhav Holkar, sought safety in Suvarnadurg. But the fort could not be defended and Bajirav was forced to leave his family and retire to Vasai1 Holkar following him took the island and the Peshvas family.2 In 1804, Suvarnadurg was, in the Peshvas interests3 captured by the English from a Maratha officer. The fort was in bad repairs and the garrison, about 800 Arabs and Musalmans, surrendered without fighting.4″In November, 1818, it was taken by a British force with little resistance.4
At present the fort wall is in a good condition. There are three tanks inside the fort area, with potable water.
Surrounding the tanks are bor trees. All the fort area is covered with grass. The fort is reached by boat at high tides.

Suvarnadurg, probably built by the Bijiipl1r kings in the sixteenth century and in 1669, Strengthened by Shivaji, was in 1696, a station of Kanhoji Angre’s fleet, and in 1713, it was formally made over to him by Shahu Raja. Under Kanhoji’s successor Tulaji, Suvarnadurg became one of the seats of his power. Such damage its fleets caused, both to Indian and foreign shipping, that the Peshva’s government several times proposed that the English should join them in suppressing Xrigres. Early in 1755., a joint attack on Suvarnadurg, Bankot, and some other Angres forts was arranged.
The siege lasted from ,25th March to 2nd April, when the garrison surrendered. On the 12th, April, Commodore James,according to agreement, made over Suvarnadurg to the Maratha Government. In 1802, Bajirav Peshva, flying from Yeshvanhav Holkar, sought safety in Suvarnadurg. But the fort could not be defended and Bajirav was forced to leave his family and retire to Vasai1 Holkar following him took the island and the Peshvas family.2 In 1804, Suvarnadurg was, in the Peshvas interests3 captured by the English from a Maratha officer. The fort was in bad repairs and the garrison,about 800 Arabs and Musalmans, surrendered without fighting.4″In November, 1818, it was taken by a British force with little resistance.4
At present the fort wall is in a good condition. There are three tanks inside the fort area, with potable water.Surrounding the tanks are bor trees. All the fort area is covered with grass. The fort is reached by boat at high tides.

Leave a Reply