some ancient structures

Daulatabad Fort, Aurangabad
This is an important fort having structures datable from 11th to 16th century AD. It is one of the unique forts in the state of Maharashtra. The Yadava dynasty founded the fort and
named it as Devgiri in the 11th century AD. The fort was under continuous occupation by various dynasties like Khiljis, Tughlaqs, Nizam Shahis, Mughals and Marathas. The main fort is on a 200 m high conical hill, and has three encircling fortifications at the
ground level. There are a number of prominent structures which include stepped wells, Chand Minar, Hammam, Chima Mahal, Rang Mahal, Bharat mata temple etc.
Daulatabad

Lonar
Lonar is well known for a huge lake, created due to meteoritic fall nearly 65,000 years ago.
There are a large number of monuments surrounding the lake and these belong to 12th – 16th century AD.

Fort Walls, Chandrapur
The work of fortification wall enclosing the city was started by Khandikya Ballal Shah under his Rajput officers called Tel
Thakurs. It was completed by Dhundia Ballal Shah in the 15th century AD. The fortification consists of 4 gates, Jatpura to
the north, Pathanpura to the south,Achaleshwar to the east and Vinba or Ghor to the west. In addition, there are 5 wicket
gates called Chor, Vithoba, Hanumant, Masan and Bagad. The Gond royal crest i.e. a lion mounting on an elephant, are carved on all of them.

Shivneri Fort, Junnar Maharashtra
Shivneri is the birth place of Chhatrapati Shivaji.The Fort has seven imposing gates with different
names. The other notable buildings in the fort area are Ambarkhana, Mosque, tomb with tall minaret and
Idgah. There are also 30 cisterns. It was a Buddhist centre during the first few centuries of the Christian era. The
Yadavas possessed it for some time and later it was taken over by a Bahamani noble called Malik-ul-Tujar. In 1595, King Bahadur Nizam
II gave this fort to Maloji Bhosle. In 1627, Shivaji was born here.

Bassein Fort, Vasai Maharashtra
Bassein Fort is located at a distance of 50 km north of Mumbai in Thane District. It was one of the most important
Portuguese settlements in India during the 16th and 17th centuries of the Christian era. It is the birth place of St. Gonsalo
Garcia, the only Indian saint, who was the companion of St. Philip de las Casa, the first native of America to be canonized.

Bhuleshwar Mahadev Temple, Pune
This 14th century Siva temple is located in Maisiras village. The temple is built of stone and mortar. The hall or
sabhamandapa in front was built at a later date. The exterior of the temple houses beautiful sculptured panels.

Leave a Reply