Every day a street child living in AASARA means a day of fun and frolic, a chance
to have a nice bath, attend school, avail of medical attention the assurance of a
good whole some meal and of course love. The venue is AASARA shelter situated
at Dighe, Navi-Mumbai.
The problems faced by the street children and run away youth at the Thane,
Kalyan, Kurla Railway Stations are multiple. They are the most vulnerable of street
children/youth found in Thane district because a majority of them are Rag pickers
and some work at the scrap dealer’s shops. (Almost 75% of these youth are
ADDICTED to some substance) (Tobacco, Solvent, Brown sugar Ganja etc).
Gambling is a very common feature amongst these youth.
AIM AND OBJECTIVE:
1. To make available basic services like education, prevention and Curative
Health, Nutrition, Vocational Training and Recreation.
2. To make available counselling, Guidance, Protection from exploitation,
provision for night shelter and to promote entrepreneurship.
3. To make them aware of their potential Rights by which they can utilise
their inherent resources more productively.
4. To join hands with organizations operating within or outside the country
having a common or complementary objectives committed for this cause.
5. To promote people’s participation, initiate and motivate more individuals
into this project.
6. To bring about public awareness of the problems faced by the children.
WHAT THEY DO ? …………………….
Some children work as RAG PICKERS, COOLIES, CONSTRUCTION WORKERS SHOE SHINE BOYS, WADI WORKERS; WAITERS AT
ROADSIDE STALLS and a few of them beg.
LIVING CONDITIONS ………………..
The living conditions of these children are pathetic. They stay below bridges, railway platforms and below at construction sites.
WORKING CONDITIONS ………………
The working conditions of these children are a cause of occupational hazard. As a result these children have various HEALTH problems such as TB.,skin disease, and Aids, etc. It is seen that the brutal working conditions affect
The children have always been exploited at the hands of POLICE, EMPLOYERS,STREET GOONDAS, DADAS, GROWN UP CHILDREN, and LOCAL PEOPLE.
They are given meagre wages for their work by their employers.
EDUCATIONAL STATUS ………………
The children do not have any formal schooling, because of poverty and poor economic status.
Due to meagre income they have very low nutritional status and the food they eat is from garbage, roadsides, leftover and begging.
This is all about boys and youth but what about S T R E E T GIRLS who have been neglected, exploited etc. In our own society human beings who – are UNSKILLED, unpaid, underpaid girl child labourers are neglected by the society, because she is a girl child. The discrimination the girl child faces indoors continues outdoors when she goes out to work. Cooking, sweeping, washing, scrubbing are the chores for a girl child which never ends. Apart from this she must face the work at her work place, also because she is a girl child.
WHO SHOULD DO IT ? YOU, ME OR THE SOCIETY ?
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL THIS?
YOU, ME OR THE SOCIETY?
BUT WHO IS THE SOCIETY ………..???
WHAT AASARA DOES …………..
AASARA provides their basic needs (shelter, clothing and food). The main objectives are the survival protection, and development of these children and youth.
SERVICES OF AASARA ……..
• CONTACT AND OUTREACH
• FORMAL AND NONFORMAL EDUCATION
• FIRST AID, HEALTH AND NUTRITION FACILITIES
• CRISES INTERVENTION
• RECREATION / OUTING AND CAMPS
• VOCATIONAL TRAINING AND GUIDANCE • HYGIENE (bathing, toilet etc.)
• COUNSELLING AND REHABILITATION • REPATRIATION
• SOCIAL ADVOCACY
• REFERRAL SERVICES TO RESIDENTIAL HOMES
• FOSTER CARE AND SPONSORSHIP AGENCIES
Is this enough to bring change and development among these street children
……………………NO. Your support is most important. `AASARA’ depends on you: ONLY YOU CAN DO IT ………,.
• SPONSOR A CHILD FOR EDUCATION AND SKILL TRAINING.
• DIRECT A CHILD TO NEAREST AGENCY BY CALLING 1098.
• MOTIVATE OTHERS TO FOLLOW YOUR EXAMPLE.
• TRY TO PROVIDE EMPLOYMENT FOR THE STREET YOUTH.
• HELP IN ANY WAY, WHICH YOU CAN…………
YOUR generous contribution will help them to achieve their GOAL and make their FUTURE BRIGHT
HELP THEM FOR A BETTER TOMORROW.
Fr. Joe D’Gama
B-124 Praful Nakhawa Chawl,
Thane – (E) 400 603. India.
Telephone – 25426825
Website: www.aasara.org (aasara.com no longer exists april 2010)