Yatri Sahyadri has organized a trek to Vikatgad (Peb Fort) on 26th September, 2010.
Some basic information about the trek is as follows:
…Height: 2100 feet
About the place:
Fort Peb is situated on the Northeast side of Panvel, on Mumbai-Pune road & at a distance of 3-4 km on the west side of Neral. It is assumed that this fort derived its name Peb from the temple of “Goddess Pebi” at the base of fort. The Fort is also known as “Vikatgad “. Historical references clearly indicate that Shivaji Maharaj used the caves on the fort for storing grain.
1. Vikat means twisted. It has very strange turns and every now and then new surprises. The fort was originally called Peb. King Shivaji renamed it to Vikatgad. Vikatgad was mainly used as granaries to store grains.
2. Datta Mandir – the base of the temple is 800 years old. The temple is in the process if renovation. The ambience is really peaceful with a Yadnya-Kund at the center of the yard of the temple. You can get water here. you may get Prasad in the temple at the time of Datta Jayanti utsav.
3. Prati-Girnaar – The top of the fort is exact replica of Girnaar Mountain in Gujrat. The Girnar mountains are sacred place of God Datta and so is vikatgad called as Prati-girnar
4. On the fort – On the way you can see a Ganesh Temple in a cave, and small pipe like openings of granaries. On the fort an ancient Shiva temple and a reservoir can be seen. There are some other remnants on the top of the fort. This 800-years-old fort is told to be one of the favorites of King Shivaji.
5. View of Matheran Hills and railway track, Fort Chanderi (Neral), Prabalgad (Panvel) and Malanggad (Kalyan) is really amazing.
05:00 am(Sunday Morning) : Reporting at Dadar Station. (pls carry your own return ticket to Karjat Station)
05:34 am: Proceed to Karjat by 5.34am Karjat local. Travel time approx 2 hours.
07.30 am: We will reach at Neral station.
07:30 am to 08.00 am: Break fast & tea at Neral.
08.00 – 08.10 am: Introduction and other formalities.
08.10 am: Start trek From Neral towards Vikatgad (Peb Fort). Trek time approx 3hrs.
11.30am: Reach at Vikatgad (Peb Fort).
11.30am to 12.30pm: Explore the Fort.
12.30 pm to 01.30 pm : Lunch
02.00pm: Start descending the fort.
05.00 pm: Reach at Neral.
05.00 pm to 5.45pm : Evening snacks & Tea.
06.00 pm : Catch return local to Dadar.
Charges: Rs. 250/- per person
Expert Guidance for the trek. : Neral – Vikatgad (Peb Fort) – Neral.
Here is a list of all the things that we need to carry for the trek:
1. Your own return ticket to Karjat station.
2. Waterproof/Water resistant haversack to put in all the things to be carried. So that one has hands free while trekking.
3. A bottle of water (minimum 2Ltrs).
4. Camera (Optional), Avoid wearing Gold and other jewelry (at own risk)
5. Electoral / Enerzyl powder, 2 Lemon, some snacks & biscuits, plate,spoon, glass (all reusable, compulsory).
6. Personal medicines & 2 plastic bags for weight distribution, insect repellant cream (Odomos or similar brand).
7. A good trekking shoes, shawl, bedding and extra clothes (compulsory).
REGISTRATION PROCESS: Please note that “attending” RSVP on Facebook will not be considered as a valid registration. Optionally you may leave your email ID and phone numbers so that we can contact you. Call us on following numbers. Please confirm your seat before 22/09/2010.
Do feel free to contact us for any queries / clarifications.
For Registration & more details, contact Our “Yatri’s”.
Rahul Dighe: 9819166194
Nityanand Naik: 9819818132
Suhas Sagvekar : 9820257757
Srikant Pillai: 7666905040/9920305779.
Send mail us on: firstname.lastname@example.org.