Chandor fort (3994) stands on the flat top of a hill immediately above the town, The approach has been blasted away and the fort is now almost inaccessible. It commanded the Chandor pass, an important opening between Khandesh and Nasik. The hill on which it stood is naturally strong, being accessible only at one gateway which was strongly fortified.
Its position on the high road from Berar to Nasik and the coast must have made Chandor a place of trade from very early times. About A.D. 801 Dridhaprahar, the founder of the Chandor Yadav dynasty (801-1073), is spoken of as restoring the glory of Chandor (Chandradityapura). [See above p. 185 note 4. Chandor is probably the Chandrapur, ‘ a city in the Deccan’, the capital of Jayakeshi, whose daughter Minal Devi married Karan Solanki (A.D. 1072.1094). See Forbes’ Ras Mala, 81.] In 1635 the Moghal army took Chandor fort along with Aniarai (Indrai?), Manjna, and Kanjna; [Elliot and Dowson, VII. 53 and 124. In 1639 Chandor is mentioned as a dependency of Daulatabad forming the eastern boundary of the territory of Baglan. Ditto, 66.] but Chandor must afterwards have passed to the Marathas as in 16G5 it was again taken by Aurangzeb. [Thornton’s Gazetteer, 195.] Between 1754 and 1756 His Highness Malharrav Holkar induced craftsmen to settle in it by gifts of land. The new suburb was called Somvarpeth and Chandor came to have a name for its brass-work. In 1804 it surrendered to the British commander Colonel Wallace, but was restored to Holkar until its final surrender to Sir Thomas Hislop in 1818. [Thornton’s Gazetteer, 195.] In the Maratha war of 1818, on the 10th of April, after the surrender of Ankai Tankai, Lieutenant-Colonel McDowell’s detachment encamped at Chandor. [Blacker’s Maratha War, 318.] In 1820 Sir John Malcolm described Chandor as a town of Considerable size, commanding one of the passes into Khandesh. [Central India, II. 486.] In 1827 Chandor had 920 houses, twenty shops, and several wells. [Clunes’ Itinerary, 15.] The town continued fairly prosperous till the opening of the railway in 1861 when the bulk of the traffic left the Bombay-Agra road. [Compare Bom. Gov. Sel CXLV. 10 (Survey Superintendent’s Report 131, dated 16th February 1874). ” Since the accession of the British Government this town has. greatly declined, as may be seen from the numerous ruins in the neighbourhood, and the opening of the railway has turned away much of the traffic which used to pass through Chandor.”] In 1857 Chandor was occupied by a detachment of the 26th Regiment of Native Infantry. [Historical Record, 26th Regiment Native Infantry, 16.]