Khanderi & Underi
The Island Sea forts of Khanderi and Underi are Located three kms. in the sea near Thal. The two early notices of Khanderi in 1538 of the Portuguese Viceroy Dorn Joao da Castro and 1674 of John Fryer, refer to it as ar uninhabited island.
Underi (also called Jaidurg) is a fortified island near the mouth of Mumbai harbour south of Prong’s Lighthouse. It is a companion fort to Khanderi and currently lies in Raigad district, Maharashtra. These islands of Khanderi and Underi served as one of the landmarks for ships entering Mumbai harbour. Underi is smaller than Khanderi and nearly circular. It was built by Kahim of the Siddis in 1680 CE.
By Crow Group of Mountaineering (CGM) Fan Club