Take nothing but pictures
leave nothing but footprints,
kill nothing but time.
- Visit in small groups when possible.
- Consider splitting larger groups into smaller groups.
Be Considerate of Other Trekkers
- Respect other trekkers and protect the quality of their experience.
- Be courteous. Yield to(allow them to pass) on the trail.
- Step to the downhill side of the trail when encountering pack stock.
- Take breaks and camp away from trails and other visitors.
- Let nature’s sounds prevail. Avoid loud voices and noises
Remember in popular areas
- Concentrate use on existing trails and campsites.
- Walk single file in the middle of the trail, even when wet or muddy.
- Keep campsites small. Focus activity in areas where vegetation is absent.
In pristine(untouched) areas:
- Disperse use to prevent the creation of campsites and trails.
- Avoid places where impacts are just beginning.
Leave What You Find
- Preserve the past: examine, but do not touch cultural or historic structures and artifacts.
- Leave rocks, plants and other natural objects as you find them.
- Avoid introducing or transporting non-native species.
- Do not build structures, furniture, or dig trenches.
Washing and Waste
- Repackage food to minimize waste. (Take back plastic bottles,chips warppers,glass bottles )
- Pack it in, pack it out.
- Inspect your campsite and rest areas for trash or spilled foods. Pack out all trash, leftover food and litter.
- To wash yourself or your dishes, carry water 200 feet away from streams or lakes
- Keep fires small. Only use sticks from the ground that can be broken by hand.
- Burn all wood and coals to ash, put out campfires completely, then scatter cool ashes.
- Observe wildlife from a distance. Do not follow or approach them.
- Never feed animals. Feeding wildlife damages their health, alters natural behaviours, and exposes them to predators and other dangers.
- Protect wildlife and your food by storing rations and trash securely.
- Control pets at all times, or leave them at home.
- Avoid wildlife during sensitive times: mating, nesting, raising young, or winter.
- Refrain from the urge to distribute ‘gifts’ to poorer locals
- Do ask permission if you want to take photographs and respect their right to refuse
- Respect local traditions .For eg covering head with a scarf,removing your footwear to enter temples.
- Support the local community
More Tips from Daniel
- Trek at your own pace. It’s not a race.You’re not here to compete with the rest of the group.
- Trek with pros. They know what they’re doing.
- Don’t pack your troubles in your rucksack.
- Don’t grumble at the weather.
- Don’t miss opportunities of friendship.
- Don’t walk in front of your trek buddy.
- Don’t overfeed your body.
- Don’t starve your mind.
- Don’t overwork your legs.
- Don’t lose your temper if you get lost.
- Don’t leave anything behind you except a good impression.
- Don’t take away anything except pleasant memories.