Kille Dharur Fort
The hill fort of Dharur is over 400 years old. It offers a panoramic view of the surroundings. Before it was captured by Aurangzeb
The hill fort of Dharur is over 400 years old. It offers a panoramic view of the surroundings. Before it was captured by Aurangzeb, it changed hands several times amongst the kingdoms of Bijapur, Bidar and Ahmadnagar. With the creation of a separate state by Nizam-ul-Mulk (who was the descendant of one of the chief nobles of Aurangzeb and who was with Aurangzeb in his Deccan campaign), it formed part of Hyderabad State and continued to be so till the State was merged in the Indian Union in 1948 after the police action.
The fort is located at a distance of about a furlong (.201 km.) to the west of Dharur on a hill range with an average height of about 753.47 metres (2,472′). The fort ramparts are of masonry and have a height of nearly 30.48 to 38.10 metres (100 to 125 ft.). There are, what appear to be, the remains of old gates of which only the frames are now in existence. Inside could be seen a mosque, probably as old as the fort itself.
The fort also contains a tank and three big wells. In the centre of this tank is a bore of 152.4 mm. (6″) diameter and it appears to be the source of water to the tank.
The fort was built in Hijri 975, by Kisvar Khan Lari, a commander of Ali Adil Shah of Bijapur, after the defeat of Ahmadnagar army. The Ahmadnagar king Murtaza Nizam Shah killed Kisvar Khan and captured the fort in 977 Hijri. During the Moghal invasion of the Deccan, the Nizam Shah had retreated in this fort. In 1630 it was captured by the Moghal forces. The fort is described in the following words by Abdul Hamid Lahori: “The fort of Dharur was celebrated throughout the Deccan for its strength and munitions of war. It was built upon the top of a ridge, and deep rivers of difficult passage ran on two sides of it. It was so secure that any effort upon it was likely to prove unsuccessful.” The town also contains a mosque constructed in the Hindu style of architecture and is said to have been built by one of Muhammad-bin-Tughluq’s commanders.
Ramhari Uttamrao Gholve,Ambewadgaon village.