Aundha, on the south-west frontier of Sinnar, about ten miles south of Devlali, the nearest railway station, is a natural stronghold ending in a sharp cone but has no traces of any built fort The rock-cut steps that formerly led up this cone have been destroyed, and the summit is at present almost inaccessible. On the opposite hill some fine six-sided basalt pillars stand out from the hill side. A curious trap dyke also stretches in a series of low mounds for some miles from the foot of Aundha towards Kavnai. Pattah, a larger bluff within Ahmadnagar limits, about two miles south of Aundha, has a flat top rising in one place to a low peak, below which there is a large chamber cut in the rock, where Mr. Fraser Tytler, Collector of Ahmadnagar between 1855 and 1860, used to camp in the hot weather. The two forts with the joining ridge form; a regular arc facing northwards. The are includes the valuable forest reserve of Bhandardara about ten miles south-east of Belgaon Kurhe railway station. [Mr. W. Ramsay, C.S.; Mr. J. A. Baines, C.S.]
Both of these forts are said to have been built in the latter part of the fourteenth century, when the Bahmani dynasty (1347-1488) established their power over the Deccan. On the division of their territories towards the end of the fifteenth century, the two forts came into the possession of the Ahmadnagar kings (1488 – 1636). In 1627 they fell into the hands of the Delhi emperors. In 1671 during Aurangzeb’s rule, Moropant Pingle took them on behalf of Shivaji. [Grant Duff’s Marathas, 112.] Next year Mohobat Khan retook them, but only to lose them in 1675, when Deher Khan, the Moghal general, was defeated by Pingle. [Grant Duff’s Marathas, 119.] From 1675 they remained under the Marathas, till the British conquest in 1818. Both Shivaji and the Peshwas used to maintain an irregular force of militia for their defence.