Photos from the camp
GIRIVIHAR, has since its conception in 1964, been devoted to outdoor adventure activities like hiking, rock climbing and mountaineering.
Adventure Activities inculcate courage, patience, determination, leadership, confidence, team spirit and cultivate a love for the environment and respect for nature.
For children, the time is ripe to learn these skills because in tomorrow’s competitive environment, these will prove to be skills rudimentary to survival. And slowly, but surely, this idea is gaining acceptance in our country. Many prestigious schools have an ‘Outdoor Education Programme’ as part of their regular curriculum.
It is with this in mind that GIRIVIHAR conducts the Annul Adventure Camp for school children (8 to13 years).
The 20th Adventure Camp will be conducted between 25th to 29th December 2011 at “Vana Vihar” camp site at village Ambivali, Karjat (Dist. Raigad). Camp site is located at about 110 kms from Mumbai;
As a parent who leaves no stone unturned for the child’s development, we are sure you will find this camp an attractive proposition. Of course, a question most likely to occur to you will be, why you must choose GIRIVIHAR’s camp for your kids…… Here’s the answer.
- GIRIVIHAR is one of the oldest and most reputed mountaineering clubs in Mumbai
- We have had decades of experience conducting Adventure Activities for children, and have enjoyed an enviable safety record (just in case you didn’t notice this is our 21st Adventure camp for kids)
- With a long list of pioneering ventures to our name, we are an organisation of genuine mountain experts
- An optimum instructor : trainee ratio of 1 : 5
- Unlike several commercial set-ups, the entire program is completely owned, managed and conducted by ’true blue’ mountaineers
- We conduct this camp for one reason only – introducing kids to the joys of the mountains and moulding them for success in tomorrow’s competitive world
- And last, but not the least, we conduct the Camp on a NO-PROFIT basis, making it one of your wisest and most economical investments in your child’s future.
1. Corresp. address : Mr. Prasanna Joshi. C/O LAGU BANDHU,
206/207, Shilpin Centre, G D Ambekar Marg, Wadala – Mum 31
Ph: +91-22-2415 0211/21
Mr. Saurabh Pathare, Tel : 09869252778;
2. Age Limit : 8 to 13 years
3. Camp Fees : Rs. 2200/- inclusive of Rs. 100/- as non-refundable
Registration Charges.(Incl. of Transport/ Lodging/ Boarding
& Equipment etc.)
4. Camp Duration : Sunday 25th to Thursday 29th December 2011 (5 days
5. Accommodation : “Vana Vihar” village Ambivali, Karjat (Dist. Raigad).
(Separate arrangement for Boys & Girls)
6. Assembly : On 25th December 2010 at Dadar 0800 hrs. Opp IES Eng Med School
Near Dadar central railway , Dadar (east)
& at CBD Belapur :0900 hrs. Near Vikasini CHS, Sector 8-B.
7. Return Pick-up: On 29th December at 1830hrs. & 1930hrs. at the same spot
at CBD Belapur and Dadar respectively as in Assembly.
8. Parent’s Meeting : At 1900 hrs. on Wednesday, 21st December at R. A. Podar
College, L. Nappo Marg, Matunga (Central), Mumbai – 19.
Camp Kit (Essential):
· A sturdy Ruck-Sack / Haver Sack / Any Back-pack which can hold the following items.
· Snugly fitting Canvas Shoes with Rubber soles or similar Sports shoes (For Activity)
· Slippers / Chappal (After activity time)
· Cotton Socks (2 Pairs)
· Lose Tough light weight trousers (Cotton preferred) or Track pants (2 Nos.)
· Lose Tough light weight Full-Sleeve Shirts (Cotton preferred) (2 Nos.)
· Personal Undergarments (2/3 sets minimum); light weight towel (Pancha)
· Light Bedding & One Full Sleeve Sweater.
· Light Weight Mug, Plate, Spoon, Bowl, Glass.
· Simple Plastic Water Bottle of Min. 1 lit capacity with Shoulder Strap (No Bisleri bottle)
· Torch with a spare set of batteries. (Avoid Pencil cell Torch)
· Note Book, Pen, Sewing Kit, Spare laces, Safety pins, Mosquito repellent cream, Tooth Brush, Tooth Paste, Soap, small quantity talcum powder, 4 ‘Band-Aid’ Strips, 2-3 Plastic bags (Assorted sizes).
· Please Do Not Give cash, gold or other valuable ornaments, mobile phones, wrist watch, any food items, comics or any other books, or anything other than the item specified in the ‘Camp-Kit’ list.
· Attending the Patent’s Meeting is a MUST.
· Since the Camp venue is more than 90 km. away from Mumbai, while returning it is difficult to keep to the scheduled timings. Parents are requested not to panic and wait for at least one hour after the schedule timing.
In such case please contact to Mrs. Revati Joshi – 9819207743
· The camp venue is in the jungle so nothing can be purchased there. Therefore ensure your child’s Camp kit is complete.
· Last Date for submitting entry form : 10th December 2011.
· Cancellation : Since all the necessary arrangements like purchase of food, transport,
equipments etc., are made well in advance, cancellations, if any must be communicated in writing at the above address, at least 15 days prior to the commencement of the camp. No refund is applicable after this date.
· The camp site is connected by a tarred road & has a river flowing along its edge. Electricity is available at the camp site along with a backup generator. The campsite has toilets with running water.
· The meals are strictly vegetarian, made hygienically by an experienced local cook who has been with us from last few years. It is not pungent, considering the requirements of the kids.
· The overall food items given during the day are more than sufficient both in quantity and nutritional value. So carrying food items, even toffees etc. is not allowed.
· The participants will be accommodated in dormitory rooms with a separate rooms for boys & girls. The ground will be covered with a mattress.
· There is a complete ‘First-Aid Kit’ available at the campsite. Still it is advisable to carry a few Band-Aid strips. Instructors are trained to give first aid. In case of any serious incidence, the Medical Officer at local PHC is also kept informed about the camp and he is always ready to provide medical help.
· Parents are requested to inform the camp-in-charge about any long term medical treatment the child is undergoing for any illness. In such cases the medicines should be deposited with the camp-in-charge with proper instructions. They should inform about the trouble if any (Asthma, breathing trouble etc.) experienced by the kid on exertion and the medicines in such cases. They should also inform about hypersensitivity (to antibiotics, sulpha drugs etc.) / allergies if any. Please note that the kid’s advise will not be accepted in any case and the camp-in-charge may take suitable steps depending upon the situation.
· There is no facility to take bath daily, moreover the kids may not find time for this. (Time will be specially provided on one of the days to bathe) Therefore instruct the kid to observe cleanliness.
· The camp-in-charge and all the instructors are fully trained and have wide experience in all the activities they will carry out. There will be an adequate number of female Instructors.
· We have always followed the precautions of safety. The child’s safety at any point is the first priority. Keeping this in mind, the instructors may not allow some kids to participate in some of the activities.
· The Camp-in-charge’s decision in any matter during the camp is final.
· Parents and/or guests are not allowed to visit the campsite during the camp. A grand camp-fun is organised by the children with variety entertainment programmes presented by the kids themselves, on the last evening (one day prior to the last day). Parents may participate in this function. We will not be in a position to make any arrangements for the parent’s food and transport (other than providing place to stay). The interested parents may contact the Camp-in-charge at the time of parents meeting for further information.
At the Camp Site:
This is a designed camping experience with a series of half-day sessions, each
dedicated to one of the following activities
· Trekking : The trek around the vicinity of the camp site orients the participants
to the scenic terrain of “One With Nature” camp site.
· Rock Climbing : This is where the basics of Rock climbing are taught to the children.
· Rappelling : The child accounts his fear of height and is able to enjoy it too!
· Rafting : Experience water as a mode of transport!
· Asault Course : Learn to overcome obstacles in life with confidence. &n
· River Crossing : The thrill of being able to cross the river with the help of a rope
without getting wet.
· Orienteering : Understand the surroundings with maps and compass.
· Treasure hunt : A group activity where confidence and competence amongst
team members is noticed.
· Nature Study : Nature is considered to be the best teacher.
· Star Gazing : Learn more about the mighty sky above us.(Optional)
· Camping out : Being able to stay with bare requirements eg. tent, some
food, a torch in the nature. Self -cooking adds to the flavor!
GIRIVIHAR 21st ADVENTURE CAMP – 2011
The General Secretary,
I declare that My Son/daughter/ward Master / Ms. _________________________ is physically fit to participate in the 21st Adventure Camp being organised by GIRIVIHAR
I understand that in case of any unforeseen event / accident during the camp, the office bearers of GIRIVIHAR shall not be held responsible for loss of life/property.
I have read the instructions and assure you that he/she shall abide by the discipline of the camp. I understand that GIRIVIHAR is a seasoned adventure club and they shall take utmost care to ensure safety of the participants of the camp.
He / She is participating in the camp on my own responsibility.
_________________________________________ Signature : Date: ________________
_________________________________________ Parent / Guardian Name
Particulars Of The Participant:
1. Name : _____________________________________________________
2. Date of Birth : ___________________________ Age : ______________ years
3. Address : _____________________________________________________
4. Telephone No. : _______________________Cell No. :_______________________
5. In case of Emergency contact : __________________________________________
6. Name of School: ____________________________Std.:_____________________
7. Any previous Hiking/Trekking Experience : YES / NO
(If ‘YES’ please specify) : ______________________________________________
8. Other interests : Hobbies / Sports : ______________________________________
9. Preferred language of instructions : English / Hindi / Marathi
10. Will join the assembly point at : Dadar / CBD
11. Return pick up at : CBD / Dadar
Fees Rs. 2200/- enclosed (By Cash / Cheque / Demand Draft No. _________________
dated __/__/__ drawn on _____________________________ in favour of “GIRIVIHAR”.
Fees handed over to : ____________________________________________________
We came to know about this camp through : News paper / School / Friend / Other
(Pl. specify) ____________________________________________________________
Note :Charges include Rs. 100/- as Registration Charges (Non-refundable)
For office use only : Receipt No. : _______________________________
Name of family doctor: _____________________________________________________
Name of the participant: ____________________________________________________
Recent Illness: ___________________________________________________________
Hyper sensitivity (to antibiotics/sulpha): ________________________________________
Chronic disease if any:__________________________________________________
I understand the nature of the Outdoor Adventure Camp the child is going to
participate in and have examined Master/Miss___________________________________
and in my opinion he/she is medically fit to participate in the program.
Name of the Doctor: ___________________________________